- Small business accounts for 75 percent of all new jobs.
- When you spend $100 at an independent business, $68 returns to the local community. Spend that same amount at a national chain and it drops to $43.
- For every square foot a local firm occupies, the local economy gains $179 vs. $105 for a chain store.
- Locally-owned businesses reinvest in the local economy at a 60% higher rate than chains and Internet retailers.
- Small businesses employ just over half all U.S. workers.
- Small businesses create more than half the nonfarm private gross domestic product (GDP).
(Sources: U.S. Chamber of Commerce – Small Business Nation; Civic Economics – Anderson(ville Study of Retail Economics. Civic Economics – San Francisco Report on Retail Diversity. U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, Buy Local Berkeley.)
Print & Post
Here we have some fliers highlighting facts about Local Shopping & Dining. Feel free to print, post & help grow the Buy Local movement. You can make a difference. Every penny matters.
is a coalition of hundreds of independently owned businesses and tens of thousands of energetic shoppers with the mission of advocating, promoting and offering support services to companies throughout Tampa Bay. Founded in August 2008, LocalShops1 is the region's most active voice for small businesses. To join our coalition please go to LocalShops1.com/Join