The day after I got laid off from the St. Petersburg Times there was a massive electrical power surge in my house.
I had just gotten home from some LocalShops1 appointments and was home taking care of paperwork when all of a sudden my ceiling fan went nuts, crazy-high speed. Then the lights became brighter and the air conditioning revved up ... It was like my home was about to take off.
Turns out something had happened that shredded the electrical wires, taking down the line. The Gulfport fire department arrived quickly to block off the area. Progress Energy came out half an hour later and replaced everything.
Zapped in the process: my oven, microwave, water heater and cable line.
BrightHouse came out and replaced the cable line the next day. I have a claims call in to Progress Energy, to see if they will pay for repairs or replacement of the other zapped appliances.
"This really could have all blown up your house!' the cable guy said, showing me a piece of the melted cable line. "You were very lucky."
Lucky indeed. Had I not been laid off the day before, I would not have been home to call the fire department. Instead I'd have been at work, maybe editing a story about a local family who lost their home to a fire ...
you starting over after a layoff? We want to hear your story! Please
email us at email@example.com, and include your story and contact
info. We will try to include as many stories as possible in future
Ester Venouziou, founder of LocalShops1.com and co-founder
of Gulfport! Magazine, is available for freelance projects: writing,
editing, design or social media. She can be reached at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 727.637.5586.
This post has not been tagged.